Monday, March 24, 2008

random thoughts

I know it’s been forever since I posted last. I’m still trying to get used to this whole “blogg”ing thing. I have been harassed lately over my lack of blogging consistency. Just like in real life, I’m a blogging slacker. I’ve come to terms with it, so can you.

It’s really been a crazy past couple of weeks. Sometimes, I can’t tell if God is trying to teach me something, or punish me, or both. In reality, I know that he is always trying to teach me something, because He loves me and has my best interest at heart.

I have been convicted lately that I don’t have enough “worldly” friends. I don’t want to be guilty of surrounding myself in the “Christian bubble”. I would never want the world to look at me and think, he’s to “Christian” for me. If we truly are Christians, shouldn’t the world be drawn to us because of the love that we have, instead of repelled from us because we stand in judgment. He’s to worldly for me. He does drugs or cuses or smokes or whatever. Who cares? Of course they do, they are dead in sin. If we weren’t saved, we would do the same thing, and just hope that someone would come along and show us the truth. Judgment is God’s area; we are commanded to love unconditionally. People flocked to Christ. If we are His followers, shouldn’t we attrack people because of the love that we have for them, no matter what their deficiency is. I’m not good at that. I need to get better. I like worldly people. They’re not afraid to be who they are. I wish Christians could be more like that sometimes. Instead of hiding behind a façade of, “I’m perfect because I’m saved by grace”, I wish we could be more like, “hey listen, I’m just as screwed up as you are, but I know our Savior, that has saved me from all this, and He loves you more than you will ever know.” I don’t know maybe I’m the only one that feels that way.

They say on average we have the ability to impact at least 2 people a day. Either positively or negatively. I wonder what impact I have. Am I faithful to invest in lives? What kind of impact do I leave?

I love to read bumper stickers. You can tell a lot about people by their bumper sticker. That’s why I don’t have them on my car. I should get one that says, “Weak insignificant vessel who’s only true value, worth and identity is secured in the fact that he has been saved by the grace of God- on board”

I have a neighbor that likes to keep his yard-house-car-truck-dog immaculate. He will spend hours a week cleaning, grooming, mowing, pruning, washing, whatever... but what’s it all for. Image, perception, vanity. It makes me wonder sometimes why we spend so much time, dedication, and devotion on the things that are temporal, but neglect the things that are eternal, like our souls. I’m not saying don’t cut your grass because it’s all going to fade away one day (I hate to cut grass), but what if we placed as much emphasis on things that really mattered for eternity. Granted, my neighbor doesn’t know God, but I wonder if all his chores still leave him empty and wanting more. I know I’m guilty of dedicating my time and energy to things that don’t matter. Not all the time, but too much.

Anyway, that’s all the time I have for today. I’ll continue later. God bless.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Ecclesiastes 2:22-25
22 What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? 23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.

24 A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, 25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?


(That's what he said. haha)

RDJones said...

I have shared in those convictions with you the past few weeks as well. I have a passion for college students and I am around them all day, so why do I keep waiting to to something about it until i am in a "ministry". My life is my ministry. Thanks for the reminder. This world is wasting away. And Christians are standing by and watching. Lord help us if we continue to do nothing.

JBL said...

Glad to see you're posting. I've always wanted a bumper sticker that says "Bumper Stickers Say Nothing" or one that says "I Hate Bumper Stickers". But that's just me.

Blog Archive